Having your own website is the in thing today. Almost all and sundry seem to have one, but setting up the site is just the first step. The customer needs someone to host it somewhere so that the data is available online for their clients and fans to find it (preferably in Australia).
An Australian web hosting business can be a very successful because of the incredible demand that is there for it. The main function of the hosting company is to have the resources to be able to handle fast connections and cope with high volumes of traffic.
The customer today is a know-it-all. Google and other search engines seem to offer all the information that they need so as a web host we need to be extra cautious to be able to provide all their requirements in order to kick start a successful business in the field of web hosting. A popular thing to do these days is to search for top 10 lists of whatever you’re looking for. In the case of looking for Australian web hosts, I suggest having a look at this epic top 3 of web hosts, it’s quite comprehensive and should give you enough info to make an informed decision.
Thing to look out for as an Australian Web Host
- The first thing to sort out when kick-starting your Australian web hosting business is to decide the aim of the company. You have an option to be a full time web developer or to be a web designer service vendor for the clients.
- As a web hosting business in Australia, you need to offer a variety of packages. The more the options, the more the flexibility and the more the customers are excited.
- One of the most important is the type of server operating system. It could be something like Windows or Linux. For a serious customer with more specialised functionality like date base, this could be a crucial factor.
- Flexible space allotment is always an attractive feature. It allows clients to be able to change their package according to their need basis.
- Money back offer in case they are not happy with their services always promotes marketing by itself. People are willing to give it a shot.
- Keep in mind the selling and accounting currency.
- Next is to decide what type of servers will be required. Your infrastructure needs to be built carefully so as to not create a huge dent in your bank balance. While reseller hosting will support up to 250 customers, it can be upgraded to dedicated servers and virtual private servers in order to support a larger quantity of clients. It will enable you to have full control on the environment. You could even have dedicated resources for specific customers so as to not limit number of accounts. In order to take it to the next step, you could construct custom configurations to meet the requirements.
- You can pick an appropriate name so that it tells people explicitly what the business does. It saves a lot of time in explaining to the customers who come looking for something else. Selling domains under your brand is a very smart idea.
- The crux of the matter is to enable the customer to do their thing without depending on you continuously for help and advice. Not everyone is tech-savvy. The simpler the instructions are, the easier it is for everyone. Make sure that the ‘help’ button is visible and that help is always available to them easily.
5 tips to kick-start your web hosting business in Australia
In order to start a web-hosting business, unequivocal importance must be given to acquiring infrastructure and serving customers. This business requires that the entrepreneur has both technical expertise and business skills. You need to be familiar with all the latest software packages and platforms on the web-hosting server, how they work and what they cost. Furthermore, you need to understand the market and business of your customers, your competition and the services already available on the market. Here are a few specific tips to keep in mind before kick-starting your web-hosting business.
- Setting up a server for web-hosting
As a host, you must be aware of the two types of hosting servers that can be offered to customers. 1) Shared or reseller servers 2) Dedicated or VPH (virtual private host) servers.
It is a good idea to start the web-hosting business with shared servers offered by big players such as GoDaddy or Australian-based Company Crucial. These servers are easy to upgrade and can be used for a small number of customers, perhaps up to 250, with a monthly fee that varies with the limit of customers.
If you are certain about acquiring a huge customer base soon, then you can purchase or lease a VPH (Virtual Private Host) server or a custom-made, dedicated server from big firms such as Dell. These servers are more expensive than the shared servers, but they provide greater access and security features that in turn help you provide better support for your customers.
- Do your research before choosing the parent company
A poorly maintained shared server can cost your business heavily by annoying the customers and losing them. Hence, choose a reputed and reliable parenting company that offers excellent technical support round the clock. Check for the customer reviews online for the reseller. If you wish to keep your customers delighted and retain them long-term, make sure your parent company provides seamless servers with no downtime, security glitches or network discrepancies. They must also provide huge storage capacity and unlimited data transfer.
- Flexibility in server
If you’re buying a hosting package from a reseller, make sure the package offered by the reseller or parent firm can be tailored for individual customers. The hosting service must have the flexibility to build and sell packages that are unique to each customer. They should be easy to upgrade and scale-up whenever necessary without any extra charges from the parent company.
- Offer excellent customer support
Once you acquire the infrastructure and customers, it is critical to offer 24/7 customer service in order to support your customer’s business and keep it up and running round the clock. Also, you must be able to provide quick and efficient technical assistance when needed as down-time means lost business to your customers.
- Choosing the best and simple Control Panels for customers:
The customers must be provided with individual control panels with best modules and features to support their business requirements and manage the various web-hosting services in one interface. cPanel is the most widely used control panel with graphical interface and automatic tools that streamline web-hosting.